Recommended specs for a FAI server

Bob Apodaca bob at phxlab.honeywell.com
Thu Aug 18 00:02:13 CEST 2016

Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2016 1:53 PM
To: linux-fai at uni-koeln.de
Subject: Recommended specs for a FAI server

I browsed through the mailing list archive but could not find any infos on this:

What would be the "recommended" specifications for a FAI server? I know these things can vary from one use case to another, but what about a sensible setup?

Maybe more broadly, what are your FAI server specs (if you use a standalone machine/VM)?

I use a standalone machine, it's a Pentium 4 processor @ 2.8GHz with 512MB. We usually only install one client at a time, but I'm sure the system could handle more. I have another system that is an apt proxy to cache packages so that may take some of the load off the main FAI server.

HTH,

Bob

PS: Sorry for the bad formatting, my e-mail client is not so good for mailing lists.