Creating a bootable usb image using fai-cd v4.3.2, struggling with grub.cfg

Louis-Philippe Véronneau lpveronneau at evolix.ca
Wed Aug 3 20:50:14 CEST 2016

On 03/08/16 02:45 PM, Pieter Van Isacker wrote:

> The image gets created but when booting it fails:
> dracut Warning: dracut: FATAL: No or empty root= argument
> Any idea what I am missing in my grup config? I guess the root argument?
> But what should it be set to? (hd0,1) is probably the local disk, but
> that doesn't have an os installed.
> I tried setting it to root=live:CDLABEL=FAI_CD but that threw another
> dracut error.
> Any ideas what the correct value should be?
>
> I also tried creating a full blown iso image, but that failed since the
> server does not have aufs installed.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Pieter

I found out the hard way last week that dracut versions before Stretch
does not support creating live images.

I ended up using live-boot instead. You can do this by modifying
/etc/fai/NFSROOT this way:

```
# dracut can replace live-boot
#dracut-network live-boot- initramfs-tools-

# choose if you like live-boot or dracut inside the nfsroot
live-boot live-boot-doc
```

And recreating your nfsroot to be sure it's included.

Cheers,

--
Louis-Philippe Véronneau <lpveronneau at evolix.ca>
Evolix - Hébergement et Infogérance Open Source http://www.evolix.ca