Creating a bootable usb image using fai-cd v4.3.2, struggling with grub.cfg

Pieter Van Isacker pieter.vanisacker at lightspeedhq.com
Wed Aug 3 20:45:34 CEST 2016

Hi all,

We currently have a working fai-server that we used to install about 15
small servers already.
Currently the server runs Debian wheezy and has fai-server & fai-client
4.3.2 installed.

The hosts we are creating are all the same, so there is one default pxe
config.

Now we also want to make a bootable usb stick as some of the hardware does
not support network booting by default.

So I tried using fai-cd -B boot-image.iso
Using a custom grub.cfg:

## grub2 configuration
set default="Boot OS of first partition on first disk"
set timeout=20
set resolution=1024x768

set superusers="grub"
password grub installme

if loadfont /boot/grub/ascii.pf2 ; then
   insmod png
   set gfxmode=640x480
   insmod gfxterm
   insmod vbe
   terminal_output gfxterm
fi

if background_image /boot/grub/fai.png ; then
  set color_normal=black/black
  set color_highlight=red/black
  set menu_color_normal=black/black
  set menu_color_highlight=black/yellow
else
  set menu_color_normal=white/black
  set menu_color_highlight=black/yellow
fi

# make sure we can access partitions
insmod part_msdos
insmod part_gpt

if [ ${iso_path} ] ; then
    set loopback="findiso=${iso_path}"
fi

menuentry "+------------------------------------------------------+" {
    set gfxpayload=$resolution
}
menuentry "|    FAI-CD        (c) Thomas Lange, lange at debian.org  |" {
    set gfxpayload=$resolution
}
menuentry "| _VERSIONSTRING_ |" {
    set gfxpayload=$resolution
}
menuentry "+------------------------------------------------------+" {
    set gfxpayload=$resolution
}

menuentry "Fully Automatic Installation - demohost (user: grub pw:
installme)" --users "grub" {
    set gfxpayload=$resolution
    linux   /boot/vmlinuz boot=live
FAI_FLAGS="verbose,sshd,createvt,reboot" FAI_ACTION=install ip=dhcp
FAI_CONFIG_SRC=file:///var/lib/fai/config
    initrd  /boot/initrd.img
}
menuentry "Boot OS of first partition on first disk" {
    set root=(hd0,1)
    multiboot /boot/grub/core.img
}

The image gets created but when booting it fails:
dracut Warning: dracut: FATAL: No or empty root= argument
Any idea what I am missing in my grup config? I guess the root argument?
But what should it be set to? (hd0,1) is probably the local disk, but that
doesn't have an os installed.
I tried setting it to root=live:CDLABEL=FAI_CD but that threw another
dracut error.
Any ideas what the correct value should be?

I also tried creating a full blown iso image, but that failed since the
server does not have aufs installed.

Thanks in advance,
Pieter