Logical Volumes on virtual drives

Ronald Steele rsteele at adaptivemethods.com
Wed Apr 27 20:36:51 CEST 2016

I’m trying to set up LV on virtual drives.  This may seem a bit weird, but it for a test rig.
Is this something that is supported?  I’ve tried CentOS and Debian on VmWare and VirtualBox and it doesn’t appear to work on either.
Besides some set ups of my own I’ve tried the LVM example in FAI distro and one from the setup-installation section of the Wiki.
The install works but when I reboot the new system I get errors like this:

Gave up waiting for root device.

Then a list of common problems.
Then:

ALERT! /dev/mapper/my_pv-_root does not exist dropping into shell

And then I get the initramfs prompt

I’ve no idea what /dev/mapper etc is or does.

Any ideas?

Ron