Automated Tests: Possible with shell scripts?

ROSSBACH Stefan Stefan.ROSSBACH at thalesgroup.com
Thu Apr 14 10:58:38 CEST 2016

Hi,

we are currently 2 people developing and bugfixing our installations. We are planning to establish a continuous integration with a "Jenkins run".
For that, I need the possibility to create automated tests that are able to test the installed configuration.

As far as I understood, FAI offers this possibility with the "tests" task. Unfortunately, I am not able to bring this to work in my configuration.
In the examples folder, there is a sample with a FAIBASE_TEST. My Base class is called "BASE". My idea was then to just copy the samples to my own "tests" folder and to rename the sample script to "BASE_TEST" (which is my base class).
Unfortunately, this did not work. No test.log file was created. (To be more exact, there was no clue in the logfiles that the test was executed)

Also, I think that not many people use the feature of FAI to have automated tests. All what I found via google was the very small section in the fai guide (which did not help me due to its shortness).

So, to sum it up, I have two questions:
- What did I wrong when I created the /srv/fai/config/tests folder and copied and renamed the sample tests to this folder?
- Is it possible to have shell scripts or python scripts as tests? I am having a hard time to understand the pearl scripts ;)

Cheers,
Stefan