FAI_CONFIG_SRC creation and use

George {Skip} F VerDuin gfv2014 at charter.net
Wed Oct 14 03:09:01 CEST 2015

Greetings

I admit to being a bit confused by maybe conflicting information. My
topic is the creation and use of the variable FAI_CONFIG_SRC.  I became
interested while learning the use of fai-chboot and proper editing of
/etc/fai/nfsroot.conf and /etc/fai/fai.conf.

So the answers should clear my thinking, and below the questions is what
I see on my faiserver:

  * Is the FAI WIKI VariableTable correct?
  * Should the source be _/etc/fai/fai.conf_ instead of
    _fai-make-nfsroot_? Perhaps a dual source?
  * Should the comment be removed -- or changed?
  * Perhaps the files are vacant because my setting is identical to the
    default?
  * Should fai-chboot use /etc/fai/fai.conf (or
    $NFSROOT/etc/fai/fai.conf) for a default setting, and the -u
    parameter be used to provide an override only if needed?
  * Should fai-chboot be added into the "used by" list on the Variables
    table?

In the FAI WIKI Variables page I found the following:
Variable                       typical value
source                  used by                             comment
FAI_CONFIG_SRC
	nfs://faiserver/srv/fai/config 	fai-make-nfsroot
<http://wiki.fai-project.org/wiki/Fai-make-nfsroot> 	get-config-dir
m-f-n writes its value to $NFSROOT/etc/fai/fai.conf

I looked to see where m-f-n would write FAI_CONF_SRC and found nothing.
See below the three files that might carry the output actually do not:
root at tug:/srv/tftp/fai/pxelinux.cfg#  more
/srv/fai/nfsroot*/etc/fai/fai.conf
::::::::::::::
/srv/fai/nfsroot-amd64/etc/fai/fai.conf
::::::::::::::
# See fai.conf(5) for detailed information.

# Account for saving log files and calling fai-chboot.
#LOGUSER=fai

# URL to access the fai config space
# If undefined, use default nfs://<install server>/$FAI_CONFIGDIR
#FAI_CONFIG_SRC=nfs://yourservername/path/to/config/space

::::::::::::::
/srv/fai/nfsroot/etc/fai/fai.conf
::::::::::::::
# See fai.conf(5) for detailed information.

# Account for saving log files and calling fai-chboot.
#LOGUSER=fai

# URL to access the fai config space
#FAI_CONFIG_SRC=nfs://yourservername/path/to/config/space
::::::::::::::
/srv/fai/nfsroot-i386/etc/fai/fai.conf
::::::::::::::
# See fai.conf(5) for detailed information.

# Account for saving log files and calling fai-chboot.
#LOGUSER=fai

# URL to access the fai config space
# If undefined, use default nfs://<install server>/$FAI_CONFIGDIR
#FAI_CONFIG_SRC=nfs://yourservername/path/to/config/space

root at tug:/srv/tftp/fai/pxelinux.cfg#

I remember setting the variable in /etc/fai/fai.conf,  so I looked for
occurrences of the variable and found my setting and a bunch of grub
settings below:
root at tug:/srv/tftp/fai/pxelinux.cfg# grep -r FAI_CONFIG_SRC /etc/fai
/etc/fai/grub.cfg:    linux   /boot/vmlinuz boot=live
FAI_FLAGS="verbose,createvt" FAI_ACTION=install hostname=demohost
FAI_CONFIG_SRC=file:///var/lib/fai/config
/etc/fai/grub.cfg:    linux /boot/vmlinuz boot=live
FAI_FLAGS="verbose,createvt" FAI_ACTION=install hostname=xfcehost
FAI_CONFIG_SRC=file:///var/lib/fai/config
/etc/fai/grub.cfg:    linux /boot/vmlinuz boot=live
FAI_FLAGS="verbose,createvt" FAI_ACTION=install hostname=gnomehost
FAI_CONFIG_SRC=file:///var/lib/fai/config
/etc/fai/grub.cfg:    linux /boot/vmlinuz boot=live
FAI_FLAGS="verbose,createvt" FAI_ACTION=install hostname=faiserver
FAI_CONFIG_SRC=file:///var/lib/fai/config
/etc/fai/grub.cfg:    linux /boot/vmlinuz boot=live
FAI_FLAGS="verbose,createvt" FAI_ACTION=sysinfo hostname=demohost
FAI_CONFIG_SRC=file:///var/lib/fai/config
/etc/fai/fai.conf:# FAI_CONFIG_SRC: how to access the fai config space
/etc/fai/fai.conf:FAI_CONFIG_SRC=nfs://192.168.1.10/srv/fai/config
root at tug:/srv/tftp/fai/pxelinux.cfg#

Thanks in advance for any help!
Skip

<http://wiki.fai-project.org/wiki/Fai-make-nfsroot>