locales in NFSROOT

Christian Meyer c2h5oh at web.de
Tue May 12 22:48:08 CEST 2015

Am Montag, den 11.05.2015, 11:12 +0200 schrieb Thomas Lange:

>     > "chroot /srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir dpkg-reconfigure
>     > -fnoninteractive locales" fails.
> Mmm, I had the same problem. Maybe a locales bug, that this does not
> work inside a chroot environment.

Good to know that this is not my single problem.
Since dpkg-reconfigure locales works fine (interactively, e.g. via
dialog) inside the chroot environment and only fails with
"-fnoninteractive", I rather think, it's from dpkg-reconfigure.

> Maybe give it a try to set your locales
> from the install client itself. You can use a hook for that.

It's getting worse but I don't know if I understand you correctly:
BTW: I'm using plain Debian jessie.
First I commented out "dpkg-reconfigure -fnoninteractive locales"
in /etc/fai/nfsroot-hooks/locales.
Then I added this line to a newly created
$FAICONFIG/hooks/class.DEFAULT.source

Okay, after fai-setup, creating an iso and burning it to CD, let's boot
the install client (from CD with NFSROOT via network) now.
Locales are not correct, so let's have a look at VT2:
# dpkg-reconfigure -noninteractive locales
Generating locales (this might take a while)...
Generation complete.
*** update-locale: Error: Invalid locale settings LANG=de_DE.UTF-8

Now lets try interactively (what worked with chroot on the server):
# dpkg-reconfigure locales
Generating locales (this might take a while)...
Generation complete.
*** update-locale: Error: Invalid locale settings LANG=de_DE.UTF-8

# locale-gen de_DE.UTF-8
Generating locales (this might take a while)...
Generation complete.

# update-locale LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
*** update-locale: Error: Invalid locale settings LANG=de_DE.UTF-8

# locale
LANG=
LANGUAGE=
LC_CTYPE="POSIX"
LC_NUMERIC="POSIX"
LC_TIME="POSIX"
LC_COLLATE="POSIX"
LC_MONETARY="POSIX"
LC_MESSAGES="POSIX"
LC_PAPER="POSIX"
LC_NAME="POSIX"
LC_ADDRESS="POSIX"
LC_TELEPHONE="POSIX"
LC_MEASUREMENT="POSIX"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="POSIX"
LC_ALL=

# debconf-show locales
* locales/default_environment_locale: de_DE.UTF-8
* locales/locales_to_be_generated: de_DE.UTF-8 UTF-8

Argh. Please, can anyone with working loclaes in NFSROOT send me his/her
config? What packages are in /etc/fai/NFSROOT? What hooks do you use?

Thomas, while installing the clients, there (somewhere) is a hook to set
the locales before updatebase and installing more packages. (I think
it's called instsoft.GERMAN or similar)
Isn't it possible that this causes my problems since locales (in
NFSROOT) are configured with nfsroot-hooks after the whole NFSROOT is
installed?

Christian