locales in NFSROOT

Christian Meyer c2h5oh at web.de
Fri May 8 15:26:45 CEST 2015

Hello there,

I'm sitting since hours but do not see the problem:
I want to integrate my FAI-clients with a WindowsDC. Therefore I need a
minimal userinput via dialog to get DC-username and DC-password. So I
need german locales in NFSROOT.

This is done via the hook /etc/fai/nfsroot-hooks/locales, but it fails.
It doesn't look like a real FAI problem, but perhaps someone could
please give me a hint or her/his hook file.

The file /etc/fai/nfsroot-hooks/locales looks like:

echo "set locales/locales_to_be_generated de_DE.UTF-8 UTF-8" | chroot
$NFSROOT debconf-communicate

echo "set locales/default_environment_locale de_DE.UTF-8" | chroot
$NFSROOT debconf-communicate

chroot $NFSROOT dpkg-reconfigure -fnoninteractive locales

and I get the following messages from fai-setup -fl:
[...]
Running hooks...
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
	LANGUAGE = (unset),
	LC_ALL = (unset),
	LANG = "de_DE.UTF-8"
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or
directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
0 value set
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
	LANGUAGE = (unset),
	LC_ALL = (unset),
	LANG = "de_DE.UTF-8"
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or
directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
0 value set
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
	LANGUAGE = (unset),
	LC_ALL = (unset),
	LANG = "de_DE.UTF-8"
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or
directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
Generating locales (this might take a while)...
Generation complete.
*** update-locale: Error: invalid locale settings:  LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
Log file written to /var/log/fai/fai-make-nfsroot.log
Log file written to /var/log/fai/fai-setup.log

I searched and learned a lot about locales, configuration, debconf and
so on but nothing worked.

When I modify the NFSROOT (after creation) with:
chroot /srv/fai/nfsroot/live/filesystem.dir dpkg-reconfigure locales
then I can easily modify locale settings (without errors), but the
noninteractive way it fails.

What do I do wrong?