Upstart/Systemd (Re: Cannot get FAI to build jessie)

Moritz Struebe Moritz.Struebe at cs.fau.de
Wed Jun 3 08:44:18 CEST 2015

Am 11.05.2015 um 08:35 schrieb Moritz Struebe:
> Yea, we have had the same problem with vivid. You need to install it in
> in a seperate apt-run. Aptitude's conflict resolution sucks! We did this
> by adding an extra hook to /etc/fai/nfsroot-hooks/ containing
> $ROOTCMD apt-get install upstart-sysv
> And you need to make sure that it's not in your NFSROOT, because
> otherwise aptitude will mark it as broken.
>
> Morty

We actually found a drawback in Vivid. FAI gets started twice, because
installing upstart at the end reverts linking initctl to true:
https://github.com/faiproject/fai/blob/5e46a5/bin/fai-make-nfsroot#L375-L379
Thus not only the installed upstart-job is started, but also the rcS:
https://github.com/faiproject/fai/blob/5e46a5/bin/fai-make-nfsroot#L413

FAI's built-in locking does not work, due to concurrency issues, failing
at different places during the installation. This was the initial
motivation to look into https://github.com/faiproject/fai/pull/27.
Though fixing the core issue, FAI being started twice should be the way
to go.

Do we really need rcS, or shouldn't it be sufficient to just start fai
using whatever startup-manager is used?

Morty

--
Dipl.-Ing. Moritz 'Morty' Strübe (Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter)
Lehrstuhl für Informatik 4 (Verteilte Systeme und Betriebssysteme)

Tel   : +49 9131 85-25419
Fax   : +49 9131 85-28732
eMail : struebe at cs.fau.de
WWW   : https://www4.cs.fau.de/~morty