Aw: Re: locales in NFSROOT

Christian Meyer c2h5oh at web.de
Tue Jun 2 14:21:23 CEST 2015

Hello Thomas and all others,

I finaly got locales and keyboard-configuration working in my NFSROOT / installation system.
Thank you Thomas for help.

Thomas script in /etc/fai/nfsroot-hooks/locales works fine and adding (preconfigured) keyboard-configuration and console-setup for keyboard-layout is easy.

One thing still is mysterious for me:
I would expect both to run out of the box from installation system, but it doesn't.
Some variables and other configuration is done in defvar by userinput so I need localized keyboard and locales at this point but it's still in (I believe) LANG=C and QWERTY layout.

Checking /etc/default/locale (says: de_DE.UTF-8) and /etc/default/keyboard (says german config) I find that all configuration from nfsroot-hooks is fine. No hint why it isn't working.

I worked arround it by:
export LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
dpkg-reconfigure -fnoninteractive console-setup

(both placed in $FAICONFIG/hooks/setup.DEFAULT.source without further configuration).
"dpkg-reconfigure locales" is not neccessary and
"dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration" isn't neccessary, too but produces warnings about unsupported start and stop actions and missing LSB tags and overrides in 'rc.S.distrib'

It's strange. All three packages got preconfigured in nfsroot-hooks, but two of them needs additional "activation". I can't imagine that this is how it's supposed to be.
Does anyone know a more elegant Workaround and/or explain that behaviour?
I boot from CD (live-boot instead of dracut) and use FAI-servers $FAICONFIG via NFS, if that matters.

Christian Meyer