Problems with nfsroot if dhcp-server and fai-server are not the same

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Wed Jul 1 11:43:54 CEST 2015

    > I can easily fix this by adapting /etc/fai/nfsroot.conf:
    > NFSROOT=nfs:phkup26:/srv/fai/nfsroot
This is not supported. NFSROOT must be a directory, since this
variable is also used by other scripts and commands.

    > => Thomas, would it be possible to add a new option to "fai-chboot", to
    > provide a user-defined value for the "root=..." directive?
    >  (It would make life quite easier for me)

    > (=> is it such a special thing to have a separate dhcp and fai-server?)
I also have this setup, since I'm not allowed to run my own DHCP
server :-(. IMO it's a bug in dracut, but upstream didn't changed the
code as I suggested. Maybe I should ask again.

I use a templte for fai-chboot. Do you know this feature?
I've created a file /srv/tftp/fai/pxelinux.cfg/jessie.tmpl (by calling
fai-chboot and then editing it). For each new install client, I call

 fai-chboot -vc jessie.tmpl newclient

That way, the template gets copied to the config for the client called
newclient.