Problems with nfsroot if dhcp-server and fai-server are not the same

René Bleisch accounts at climate.unibe.ch
Wed Jul 1 08:35:16 CEST 2015

Good morning,
I just stumbled over an already known problem, when I tried to install a
host yesterday.
The installation didn't even start because dracut tried to mount the
nfsroot from my dhcp-server, which is not on the same machine as the
fai-server machine ...

This occured because I recently  re-created my nfsroot - to be able to
do this, I had to adapt /etc/fai/nfsroot.conf:
NFSROOT=/srv/fai/nfsroot

Its the default setting, but "fai-chboot" then creates the entry
"root=/srv/fai/nfsroot" in the pxe-file. In the following, dracut tries
to mount the nfsroot from the dhcp-server, which obviously doesnt work

I can easily fix this by adapting /etc/fai/nfsroot.conf:
NFSROOT=nfs:phkup26:/srv/fai/nfsroot

and  re-running fai-chboot, which leads to the pxe-entry
"root=nfs:phkup26:/srv/fai/nfsroot"

However, with this setting I cannot create the nfsroot because it tries
to install it in a folder like "/srv/fai/nfs:phkup26:/srv/fai/nfsroot"

=> both "fai-chboot" and "fai-setup"/"fai-make-nfsroot" take the
NFSROOT-parameter from "/etc/fai/nfsroot", thus I have always to switch
the setting of NFSROOT there
=> Thomas, would it be possible to add a new option to "fai-chboot", to
provide a user-defined value for the "root=..." directive?
 (It would make life quite easier for me)

(=> is it such a special thing to have a separate dhcp and fai-server?)

Thanks
René