Still having problems creating dual-boot workstation

Markus Koeberl markus.koeberl at tugraz.at
Fri Aug 14 09:16:28 CEST 2015

On Thursday 13 August 2015 23:04:30 John G Heim wrote:

> On 08/13/2015 03:55 PM, Kerim Gueney wrote:
> >
> > On 08/13/2015 09:54 PM, John G Heim wrote:
> >> A couple of years ago, I posted a question about using FAI to create a
> >> dual-boot machine. We have some kind of aut-installer for Windows 7
> >> that I know next to nothing about. But after the Windows guy installs
> >> Win7, I use FAI to install linux on the free space. But after FAI
> >> finished, the Win7 installation has to be rescued. There must be some
> >> linux workaround for this because if you install debian or ubuntu from
> >> an installation CD, you don't have that problem.
> > What exactly needs to be done after the FAI installation?
>
> After the FAI install finishes, the Win7 installation is not bootable.
> You have to boot from a Win7 installation disk and  choose the Windows
> rescue option. After that, you can boot into Win7 again.
>
> Are you saying you install Windows 7, then you do an FAI install, and
> you don't have any problems booting into Win7? It's never worked for me.

The problem ist that setup-storage creates a new partition table.
If you write a hook to restore the old signature it will work.

save signature:
dd if=${WINDOWS_BOOT_DEVICE} of=${BACKUP_PATH}/${WINDOWS_BOOT_DEVICE_SIGNATURE_NAME} ibs=1 skip=440 count=4

restore signature:
dd if=${BACKUP_PATH}/${WINDOWS_BOOT_DEVICE_SIGNATURE_NAME} of=${WINDOWS_BOOT_DEVICE} obs=1 seek=440 count=4

regards
Markus Köberl
--
Markus Koeberl