fai-monitor: lost-messages

Tobias Unsleber tu at inline.de
Fri Aug 7 13:52:25 CEST 2015

Hi,

I wrote a little webinterface for my own purposes and
I'm using fai-monitor to get the progress of the installation
and to trigger post-installation processes(in my case, initiate
opscode chef bootstrapping).

A problem I have, is that there are missing progress messages
now and then. My first reaction to this is that I implemented a
script, that is sending multiple "Installation Finished" messages
to the server(in detail 9 times -  3 for 3 times with 1 second
sleep in between).

Unfortunately that does not work always. Seems that I have
to implement my own - tcp-based - way to do it.

I guess it might be caused in the fact that the messages
are being sent via udp.

And this may not be an error of fai-monitor but of my own
daemon attached to fai-monitors stdout that is doing the
further processing. (The "daemon" is written in php, which
is not really designed to run as a daemon process). I have
not verified that the messages are getting lost before or
after processing by fai-monitor.

Just wanted to let you know and asking if one of you has
had similar problems.

Regards,
Tobias

--
Tobias Unsleber
Inline Online Internet Dienste GmbH

HRB 7454, Sitz Karlsruhe, Registergericht: Karlsruhe
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Andreas Werner, Dr. Armin Zundel