Updated installation instructions for Ubuntu

René Bleisch accounts at climate.unibe.ch
Fri Sep 19 13:39:51 CEST 2014

Hi Robert,
I would appreciate it if you update the Wiki!

I operate a wheezy FAI-server with wheezy workstations since quite some
time.
Additionaly I operate a couple of Ubuntu server machines (10.04 LTS,
12.04 LTS, 14.04 LTS). Now I plan to also automate the
installation/configuration process using FAI, but I definitely prefer to
use Ubuntu LTS for servers.

Therefore I started to setup a FAI-server for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS machines
recently (I already made some posts concerning it on 7 and 8 July).

In the meantime I got it to work with the following setup:
FAI-server machine: wheezy (same as for wheezy-workstations)
nfsroot: wheezy (same as for wheezy-workstations)
config: separate config space for Ubuntu 14.04 (based on the
wheezy-config, but adapted to Ubuntu)

I tried to setup an Ubuntu 14.04 nfsroot, but I had quite some problems
hence I now use the wheezy nfsroot (as suggested by answers to my posts)

Specials:
- I created a Ubuntu 14.04 basefile according to your wiki
- /var/lib/fai/config was not created during installation => I had to
add a script which creates this folder during the installation (or else
softupdates will fail as the config-space cannot be mounted...)

With this setup, I could successfully install a new Ubuntu-machine and
integrate it in my Linux Network.
However, I didn't manage to get a working graphical interface (GDM/gnome).
But this doesn't matter so much for me, as I plan to use this setup to
install Ubuntu server machines, for those a graphical interface is not
necessarily required (only a "nice-to-have").

I'd definitely like to test your instructions once they are published

Regards
René