Proxy configuration (apt) during client installation

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Sun Nov 16 14:09:11 CET 2014

    > is it possible to configure an apt proxy during client installation?
Hi Christian,

yes this is possible. If you install a new machine (no matter if it
becomes the server or a client) a hook is called:
hooks/updatebase.DEBIAN
Inside this script the variable $APTPROXY is used (which can be set in
class/*.var) for setting up the proxy inside /target.

    > - FAIs Server class can be configured via
    > FAI-CONFIG/files/etc/apt/apt.conf/00proxy/SERVER but that is for the
    > real system - not for the initial installation.

    > Is there a way to change the NFSROOT/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/00proxy (which
    > lives on FAI-CD) during initial CD installation of the server?
Yes, set $APTPROXY in you ocnfig space in class/*.var. Then is will be
used during installation. You may want to remove
$target/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/02proxy at the end of the installation.

P.S: I'm always very interested in user experiences with FAI. Can you
please fill out the FAI questionnaire
http://fai-project.org/questionnaire
and send it back to me when you finished a project with fai.