fai-cd -B gives an error

Bob Apodaca bob at phxlab.honeywell.com
Wed May 28 21:26:12 CEST 2014

On 05/28/2014 12:09 AM, Werner.Pommerer at uni-hohenheim.de wrote:
> Thank you. I am very interested. Could you explain in more detail for me?
>
> Werner I have created a bootable CD-ROM using GRUB, but I do not use
> fai-cd.  I only use the CD-ROM to boot the kernel and load the initrd,
> after those steps the system boots using NFS. I have also successfully
> used a similar process to boot from a USB "thumb" drive. If this
> set-up would help you I can attempt to explain how to create your own.
>>
>> Bob

Configure your FAI installation as you would for a normal PXE or DHCP
boot process.
A some point you will run the command: make-nfs-root
Now create a folder where you will begin to create your CD-ROM, I call
mine "cdroot"
Create a "boot" directory and "grub" subdirectory: mkdir -p cdroot/boot/grub
Now create a grub.cfg in boot/grub, here's a starting point:

set menu_color_normal=cyan/blue
set menu_color_highlight=white/blue
set timeout=30

menuentry 'Wheezy 32 bit FAI using DHCP' {
         insmod part_msdos
         echo    'Loading Linux 3.2.0-4-686-pae ...'
         linux   /wheezy/vmlinuz-3.2.0-4-686-pae ip=eth0:dhcp
root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=192.168.1.166:/srv/fai/nfsroot:vers=3 aufs
boot=live FAI_CONFIG_SRC=nfs://192.168.1.166/srv/fai/config
FAI_FLAGS=verbose,sshd,createvt FAI_ACTION=install
BOOT_IMAGE=vmlinuz-3.2.0-4-686-pae HOSTNAME=fai
         echo    'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
         initrd  /wheezy/initrd.img-3.2.0-4-686-pae
}

You will need to replace 192.168.1.166 with the IP address of your FAI
server.

Now create a "wheezy" subdirectory in your "cdroot" directory and copy
the kernel and initrd files from $NFSROOT/boot directory to your
"cdroot" boot directory.

Now create your ISO image with this command:
grub-mkrescue --modules="linux ext2 fshelp ls boot pc"  -o
grub2-boot.iso cdroot/

For Debian, I had to install the "xorriso" package to properly build the
ISO image.

Burn your ISO image.

When the system boots, use "Control-x" to edit the settings and change
the hostname from "fai" to the proper hostname for the target system.

To transfer to a USB "thumb" drive:
1. Do a search for "GRUB bootable USB" for instructions on creating a
bootable GRUB USB stick.
2. Simply copy all your files from your "cdroot" directory structure to
the USB stick.

Bob