Kernel panic - FAI 4.1.1

Thomas Neumann blacky+fai at fluffbunny.de
Fri May 9 16:13:16 CEST 2014

On Friday 09 May 2014 11:48:40 Rui Teixeira wrote:
> I see your point, but isn't dracut-network only appropriate to install
> over network? I'm using a USB stick here, I don't want to use any type of
> network connection to make the installation.

Erm. dracut-network is just one part of dracut and enables the usage of NFS
for the root device.

'dracut' or 'live-boot' are responsible for providing a writeable boot
device by layering a writeable layer on top of a read-only media. Either of
them is necessary to use a CD-ROM as your FAI boot medium.

Well it ~is~ possible to export a R/W NFS mount or use a writeable USB-
Stick/thumbdrive, but you don't really want that. ;)

(You are very likely to want to roll back any changes the client may have
made to your boot media during installation. The easiest way is to write any
changes to a virtual, memory backed layer and simply discard this layer
after the installation is complete.)