Kernel panic - FAI 4.1.1

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Tue May 6 14:49:10 CEST 2014

    > 5. create usb bootable pen drive (in my scenario I can't use a network server, I'm must use an USB stick)
    >     fai-cd -m /media/mirror/ -u /media/pen/

Did you formated the USB stick with ext2 (or 3 or 4)? You must not use
vfat for the FAI usb stick.

    > When I try to boot from USB I have this error:

    > Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
    > Pid: 1, comm: init Not tainted 3.2.0-4-686-pae #1 Debian 3.2.57-3
    > Call Trace:
    >  panic+0x4d
    >  do_exit+0x76
    >  do_group_exit+0x5c
    >  sys_exit_group+0x11
    >  syscall_call+0x7
    >  acpi_os_map_memory+0xd7
Mmm, never saw this problem, when booting from USB. Did you changed
anything in grub.cfg? Any special kernel commnd line parameters?

Please try the official FAI-CD. Hare's a script, that
converts the ISO into a FAI USB stick.

 http://fai-project.org/download/misc/faicd2usb