File-based capabilities missing after installation

Marcus Karlsson mk at acc.umu.se
Tue May 6 14:21:35 CEST 2014

Hello.

We're using FAI 4.1.1 and recently ran into a problem where users were
unable to use the ping program. It turns out that Ubuntu nowdays (at
least 14.04) don't use setuid for ping and relies on file based
capabiltiies instead. But this is not preserved during the installation.
Others have hade similar problems too [1].

Has anyone else run into this, or has any ideas on what we can do to
solve it? Reinstalling the package fixes it but we would like to avoid
that if possible.

		Marcus

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/1302192