fai-mirror and conflicting packages

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Fri Jun 20 11:02:48 CEST 2014

    > does anyone know of a faster way to get conflicting packages in a
    > partial mirror created with fai-mirror, than using MAXPACKAGES=1?

    > I need to include both 'grub-pc' and 'grub-efi-amd64' in the mirror.
    > Downloading everything with MAXPACKAGES=10000 downloads ca. 1500
    > packages in one swoop in about 20 minutes, but leaves out grub-efi-amd64
    > because of the conflict. Downloading with MAXPACKAGES=1 should allow
    > this, but takes ages (I stopped after 4 hours).
I'm wondering why it takes so long. Even with a slow connection, I
would not expect that big difference.

I have a local mirror, to which I have a gbit connection. Creating a
mirror with MAXPACKAGES=1 takes about 2 minutes when putting the mirror into a
a ramdisk (/tmp is my favorite target ;-). When using max=9999 it only
takes 30 seconds. On this very fast computer it only takes 4 times
longer.

I you have a slow computer or slow file system it's a good idea to
created the mirror onto a ramdisk. This also speeds up every single
apt-get/aptitude call.

I suggest you use -v with fai-mirror and check if there's a certain
part, where the download is slow.