Problem booting clients in FAI 4.0.8~deb7u1

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Wed Jun 18 07:35:44 CEST 2014

    > There used to be a fai-kernels package, but this is now suppressed according
    > to the changelog.

    > I tried to simply copy /boot/{vmlinuz,initrd}* to /srv/tftp/fai from a
    > manually installed wheezy desktop, then run a `fai-chboot -IFv poste-401'
    > and I get this pxelinux.cfg/... file:
I guess you have also upgraded the FAI version from squeeze to
wheezy. Then you have to regenerate the nfsroot! That's an important
step. This also copies the kernel and initrd into the tftp directory.

    > b) if I add boot=live option manually, it fails looking for scripts/live
    >    and then the kernel panics.
In FAI 4 we now use dracut for creating the initrd. This does not need
the boot=live parameter any more.

    > Is that a kernel+initrd problem, or more likely a nfsroot generation problem ?
You can join the IRC channel #fai and get quick help. Later I will we
there for more help.

I suggest to use the fai-project.org package repository, so you will
use FAI 4.2 with wheezy. That's the version I recommend for wheezy.