FAI and non debian installs

Peter Keller psilord at cs.wisc.edu
Tue Jun 17 18:07:35 CEST 2014

Hello,

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 10:40:59PM +0200, Thomas Lange wrote:

>     > The manual seems to be a little sparse on how to use a debian nfsroot
>     > to install a different kind of linux distro, suppose xubuntu. I know I
>     > have to create a base.tar.gz file, but what is in it? where does it go?
> The basefiles are made by calling debootstrap. Have a look at
> /usr/share/doc/fai-doc/examples/simple/basefiles/mk-basefile
> for more details. For naming the basefiles have a look at this for
> some examples
> http://fai-project.org/download/basefiles/
>
>     >> From where does the current one come? Who made it? I request some
>     > enlightenment on the issue. :)
> The default (a Debian one) is located in the nfsroot in
> /srv/fai/nfsroot/var/tmp/basse.tar.xz. It created by fai-make-nfsroot.
>
> Maybe you like to write a smal HowTo for the FAI wiki on this topic.
> You can get an account from me if you like.

So, I've almost figured out how to do this, but I have stumbled across
a situation that I'm not sure how to solve.

The gist is:
    A) hack config/basefiles/mk-basefile until it can produce (in my case)
        trusty64.tar.xz because I want to install ubuntu 14.04.

	B) Fix my emitted classes to have TRUSTY64 instead of DEBIAN.

    C) Fix/copy a pile of scripts (or other data files) in the config/
        area to deal with trusty and not debian.

	D) Specify the trusty repos in $NFSROOT/etc/apt/sources.list

But, I've run into an interesting problem.

If I want half of a cluster to be debian wheezy, and the other half to
be ubuntu14.04, how do I disambiguate the $NFSROOT/etc/apt/sources.list
properly?

Thank you!

-pete