FAI and non debian installs

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Thu Jun 12 22:40:59 CEST 2014

    > The manual seems to be a little sparse on how to use a debian nfsroot
    > to install a different kind of linux distro, suppose xubuntu. I know I
    > have to create a base.tar.gz file, but what is in it? where does it go?
The basefiles are made by calling debootstrap. Have a look at
/usr/share/doc/fai-doc/examples/simple/basefiles/mk-basefile
for more details. For naming the basefiles have a look at this for
some examples
http://fai-project.org/download/basefiles/

    >> From where does the current one come? Who made it? I request some
    > enlightenment on the issue. :)
The default (a Debian one) is located in the nfsroot in
/srv/fai/nfsroot/var/tmp/basse.tar.xz. It created by fai-make-nfsroot.

Maybe you like to write a smal HowTo for the FAI wiki on this topic.
You can get an account from me if you like.