Error in setup-storage in FAI 4.1

Thomas Neumann blacky+fai at fluffbunny.de
Tue Jun 3 17:01:35 CEST 2014

On Tuesday 03 June 2014 16:42:02 Thomas Lange wrote:
>> There are a number of reports around these problems, each referencing
>> one another, but I lost my way somewhere through this... Is there any
>> real solution for this?

> Kerim (a colleague of mine) started working on LVM things in
> setup-storage right now. First he will try to understand and reproduce
> the LVM problems. I guess, there will be some progress in the next
> months.

1)

He should pay close attention to the lvm2 minor number. There was at least one
change in 2.02.89 regarding what "LV Name" and "LV Path" actually mean.
Linux::LVM parses this value and setup-storage uses it to access/create the
devices.

Suggestion: Test with Ubuntu 12.04, Ubuntu 12.04, Debian Wheezy and Debian
Jessy.

2)

Installing a new instance with no previously existing LVM should work fine
until lvm2 2.02.89 using Linux::LVM 0.16 or less.

3)

The published Linux::LVM 0.17 on CPAN has at least one bug (a jump label is
misnamed) and one possible bug regarding whether to prefer LV NAME or LV PATH
as an index value. I think it's currently impossible to install any kind of
LVM-using host with a lvm2 version of 2.02.89 or higher.

4)

I'm pretty sure setup-storage is still broken if one tries to reinstall a host
with an existing LVM configuration.

5)

I don't think the linux kernel version is relevant.

6)

There may be an additional issue somewhere around lvm2 2.02.95 or higher but I
haven't looked to closely into that.

7)

Kerim is going to experience interesting times.

bye
thomas