Error in setup-storage in FAI 4.1

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Tue Jun 3 16:47:57 CEST 2014

    > but also the underlying Linux::LVM is pretty seriously
    > broken. (Roland's patch does work, but I'm not sure if it's really the
    > 'correct' fix.)
IMO, we should first try to fix the problems in this Perl library.

    > @Thomas L.: What do you think about introducing something like the
    > USE_SETUP_STORAGE variable again? This way it would be possible to provide the
    > 'working-but-broken-LVM' and an 'experimental' version of setup-storage. If a
    > client type doesn't need LVM, then stay with the old s-s and avoid possible
    > breakage, if LVM is required then it's broken anyway and it does not really
    > matter to possibly add an additional bug.
I prefer to fix things in setup-storage and not start a fork of it.

    > Important stuff that needs to be fixed:
    >  - setup-storage must properly recognize and wipe existing LVM-volumes
There seems to be some improvement in LVM itself since 2.02.105. Have a look at #750212.

    >  - either Linux::LVM or setup-storage must be aware of the changes in 2.02.85
    > and 2.02.95(?) and properly handle them
Linux::LVM should handle this. setup-storage is not responsible of
fixing things that are handled by another library.

    > Important feature requests:
    >  - setup-storage should be able to configure btrfs volumes (at least root
    > volumes, subvolumes would be nice too)
I also like this idea. Let's see if we can include something useful
into setup-storage until november, before the Jessie freeze.