Possible missing firmware rtl18168g-3.fw fo module r8169

Toomas Tamm tt-fai at kky.ttu.ee
Tue Jun 3 16:32:39 CEST 2014

On Tue, 2014-06-03 at 14:32 +0100, Rui Teixeira wrote:
> I already have installed firmware-realtek. Seems
[...]

> but not  for module r8169:
> rtl_nic/rtl8168g-3.fw
> rtl_nic/rtl8168g-2.fw
[...]

Apparently I did not pay sufficient attention to detail, which versions
of the firmware you are lacking. My apologies!

However, all the missing modules are present in the jessie version of
firmware-realtek:
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/firmware-realtek

It has essentially no dependencies and installs on a wheezy system
without any complaints (just tested).

> I'm saying this warning is the reason because is the only warning I
> have during installation process. Then, booting the system, I'm stuck
> after:
>

> Decompressing Linux... Parsing ELF... No relocation needed... done.
> Booting the kernel.

Does this happen while booting FAI, or when booting into the installed
system? You may get additional insight into booting problems by adding
"set debug=all" into the grub configuration, and adding "rdshell
rdinitdebug rd.debug" into the kernel flag list.

Sample grub entry:

menuentry "Debian FAI 486 install with lots of debug" {
          set debug=all
          insmod ext2
          search --set=root --label FAI_USB --hint hd0,msdos1
          linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.13-0.bpo.1-486 ip=dhcp  root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=172.24.0.205:/wrk/fai/nfsroot32 aufs nomodeset rdshell rdinitdebug rd.debug FAI_FLAGS=verbose,sshd,createvt FAI_ACTION=install
          initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.13-0.bpo.1-486
}

This worked for a USB stick. Your situation will probably vary. If
booting via PXE, the "set debug=all" is not needed, as it affects grub.

PS. Please report back if the firmware update helped, and if not, what
else you did to get it to boot?

Regards,

Toomas