Can't start from RAM disk image

"Dr. Daniel Löb" daniel at sardisverlag.de
Wed Jul 16 20:48:01 CEST 2014

Hello Thomas,

I've found a workaround, in the process identifying a likely cause of
the problem.

On a hunch, I created a bootable Etherboot USB stick, as described here:

http://etherboot.org/wiki/removable

Usually, this is done for systems with a network adapter that doesn't
have pxe capability, but in my case it also worked. This indicates that
the onboard implementation of pxe/ftp is somehow broken on my computer.

Now I get my root prompt and can continue forward. I will of course have
to use that USB stick for installs, but for my handfull of machines,
this is not really a problem.

As for what gave me the hunch that something wasn't right with the
onboard software: The computers I use were former office PCs of a big
insurance company. Even before booting, they had the name of that
insurance company plastered all over them, indicating that they had
meddled with the bios/firmware...

Best regards,
Daniel

--
*Dr. Daniel Löb*:
Geschäftsführer Sardis Verlag UG (haftungsbeschränkt).

Sardis Verlag UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Alexanderstraße 9
64732 Bad König

Telefon: +4916091236780
Registergericht:  Amtsgericht Darmstadt
Registernummer:  HRB 93023
Ust-ID:  DE293817909

Verantwortlicher i.S.d. § 55 Abs. 2 RStV: Dr. Daniel Löb,
Alexanderstraße 9 64732 Bad König