Can't start from RAM disk image

"Dr. Daniel Löb" daniel at sardisverlag.de
Wed Jul 16 17:53:31 CEST 2014

On 07/16/2014 03:53 PM, Thomas Lange wrote:
>     > When I boot the target machine after that, it _should_ start fai but then drop into a root at none prompt. What it instead does is to show these two messages:
>     >     Received 001a Kbyte, sorted 001a Kbyte, invoked primary bootstrap
>     >     C6e: can't start from RAM disk image
> Mmm. I'm not sure when it drops into the prompt. Do you see the red
> ascii text? Or does it drop into the rescue shell of the initrd?
> I never saw this error message.
Oh, it doesn't drop to the prompt. The Wiki said that it should drop to
the prompt if FAI is working (without having the target system config
properly set up).

Instead, the error message appears and then the system immediately boots
from the next boot option (Hard Disk).
> You can enable debugging the initrd by adding rd.debug=1 to the kernel
> command line.

I tried it again with
> fai-chboot -FIv -k rd.debug=1 joffrey
unfortunately, the result is the same. System shows the error message,
then proceeds to boot from disk.

I've also activated the --verbose option of tftp on the server and it
gives this output in the logs
> Jul 16 17:39:13 varys in.tftpd[8111]: RRQ from 192.168.28.3 filename
> pxelinux.0
So it seems that something weird is happening on the target machine,
before/while the kernel is loaded...

My Google searches showed that this problem has appeared every now and
then in the last 10 years for people trying to boot over pxe. Somewhat
dishearteningly, not a single one of the people asking questions about
it on forums managed to get it fixed...

I'm grateful for any further suggestions.

Best regards,
Daniel

--
*Dr. Daniel Löb*:
Geschäftsführer Sardis Verlag UG (haftungsbeschränkt).

Sardis Verlag UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Alexanderstraße 9
64732 Bad König

Telefon: +4916091236780
Registergericht:  Amtsgericht Darmstadt
Registernummer:  HRB 93023
Ust-ID:  DE293817909

Verantwortlicher i.S.d. § 55 Abs. 2 RStV: Dr. Daniel Löb,
Alexanderstraße 9 64732 Bad König