packages avail during install

Peter Keller psilord at cs.wisc.edu
Tue Jul 8 16:50:11 CEST 2014

On Tue, Jul 08, 2014 at 09:36:55AM +0200, Thomas Neumann wrote:
> On Monday 07 July 2014 17:42:58 Peter Keller wrote:
> > During the installation procedure in FAI 4.2, I found I need a certain
> > package. Where/How do I install a package to be available during the
> > install time? Does it somehow have to go into the nfsroot? I have no
> > idea how to add packages at all to whatever fai-make-nfsroot creates...
>
> If you just want to install a package in the nfsroot you can do
>
>   chroot /srv/fai/nfsroot su -
>   apt-get update
>   apt-get install <package>
>
> or
>
>   chroot /srv/fai/nfsroot/live/initr[....] su -
>   apt-get update
>   apt-get install <package>
>
> There's no need to completely rebuild the nfsroot.

Sweet! That is amazingly useful. Thank you!

I did see this warning from apt-get though:

   Can not write log, openpty() failed (/dev/pts not mounted?)

This gives a means of a workaround:

http://linux.koolsolutions.com/2010/12/30/tip-getting-rid-of-common-errors-in-chroot-mode/

but I hadn't tried it since for my purposes it seemed harmless.

Thank you!

-pete