How to automatically ignore/delete existing partitions?

Thomas Neumann blacky+fai at fluffbunny.de
Thu Jul 3 18:10:06 CEST 2014

On Thursday 03 July 2014 16:59:40 Thomas Lange wrote:
>> Something I wasnt able to find out in FAI docs was how to ignore
>> existing partitions when setup-storage runs.

> Try setting flag_initial=1 in class/*.var
> I'm not sure if this helps.

[haven't tested it out]

Even if it does work (make setup-storage totally ignore the existing lvm
configuration) I think that's a bad idea. The next thing that's going to trip
is parted complaining that it was able to write a new partition table, but is
unable to inform the kernel about the change (because lvm is still running
and believing it still has access to these volumes).

The actual cause for this issue is a well known lvm-bug in setup-storage.

workaround: manually detect an existing lvm configuration and delete it
(this can be done via a configspace hook)

temporary fix: http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-fai@uni-koeln.de/msg05662.html
(I got confirmation that it works, but it changes quite a bit of things so
Thomas L. isn't too happy to apply it yet, Kerim Gueney is working on an
alternative solution.)

proper fix: soon in the development repo and/or the next fai-release?

bye
thomas