SLC6

Toomas Tamm tt-fai at kky.ttu.ee
Thu Aug 28 17:29:31 CEST 2014

On Thu, 2014-08-28 at 16:03 +0200, Thomas Neumann wrote:
> On Thursday 28 August 2014 14:22:44 Werner Pommerer wrote:
> > I'm installing SLC6. With the Packages XORG/XFCE I get many errors, like:
>
> Just a hunch:
>
> Check the total available disk space. If it's actually /target/var/cache that
> is full, then the root or /var filesystem of your install client is not
> appropriately sized (modify your disk_config), if this is not the case then it
> may be you're running out of memory (because /var is composed of a read-only
> part (nfs mount, CD-ROM / flash drive) and an in-memory part that is used for
> storing all modifications (e.g. downloaded packages).

FAI used to mount a RAM disk over the APT cache area. This is
"/target/var/lib/dpkg" when installing Debian. The relevant line in
fai.log is
Ramdisk mounted onto /target/var/lib/dpkg

There is a similar trick in use for yum. A grep over my configuration
space (which is based on the default examples) reveals:

class/CENTOS.var:FAI_RAMDISKS="$target/var/lib/rpm $target/var/cache/yum"

You can set FAI_RAMDISKS to "NONE" to turn off the feature.

If you still run out of disk space, you may mount a larger partition
over /var/cache/yum, replace /target/var/cache/yum with a symlink to a
directory on a larger partition, or even use a NFS mount (yes, I have
done this for apt, it works). This goes into prepareapt.SOMECLASS hook
for apt, check the name for case of yum.

You may want to make a copy of the content of /target/var/cache/yum
before you replace it with a symlink or mount over it, and unpack the
original content at the new location.

Regards,

Toomas