linux-image-3.12-0.bpo.1-amd64 dracut: FATAL: Don`t know how to handle root=/srv/fai/nfsroot

René Bleisch accounts at climate.unibe.ch
Fri Apr 25 13:38:47 CEST 2014

Versions:
fai 4.1
dracut ? (where can I find this out?)

I think I remember the problem now:
Last year, when I set up the new wheezy-FAI-server, I first set
"NFSROOT=/srv/fai/nfsroot"  in nfsroot.conf (as in the
"make_fai_nfs_root.conf" file in my old fai 3.4.7 server) .

However, tftp/dracut then tried to mount the nfsroot from the
dhcp-server :-( (not on the same machine...*)

I just tried a test installation with NFSROOT=/srv/fai/nfsroot and
indeed the installation stops with
"mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting
130.92.143.225:/srv/fai/nfsroot"

Indeed, 130.92.143.225 is the dhcp-server machine, and in the syslog of
this machine I find
Apr 25 13:10:57 kuppacific rpc.mountd[1658]: refused mount request from
kuphalmahera.unibe.ch for /srv/fai/nfsroot (/): no export entry

(kuphalmahera.unibe.ch is the host to install)

If I put "NFSROOT=phkup26:/srv/fai/nfsroot" it worked until ~one month
ago, but now I had to put
"NFSROOT=nfs:phkup26:/srv/fai/nfsroot" into nfsroot.conf to get it to
work again.

PS: If I'm right, fai-chboot just takes the NFSROOT variable from
nfsroot.conf to create the nfsroot kernel command line parameter entry
(I invoke it with /usr/sbin/fai-chboot -IFv -u
nfs://phkup26/srv/fai/config <hostname>)

Regards
René

* Since years I have a dhcp-server for our network on a special machine.
In the dhcpd.conf I just declared a special "group" for the FAI-hosts:
-------
group {
    server-name "kuppacific.unibe.ch";
    next-server phkup26;
    use-host-decl-names on;
    filename "fai/pxelinux.0";

This worked for years with the old FAI-server