Setup_storage driving me nuts

Geoff Shang Geoff at MintFM.net
Fri Apr 4 20:45:56 CEST 2014

On Fri, 4 Apr 2014, Sven Schumacher wrote:

> that seems to be to easy to solve, but we'll see:
>
> 6 primary partitions is for msdos-based partitioning to much, and even gpt -
> I think - still has this limit of 4 primary partions.

Not from what I've read.

> So I would try:
>
> disk_config /dev/sde disklabel:gpt bootable:1
> primary /boot        1G      - -
> primary /        100G     -    -
> primary swap     32G      swap   sw
> logical /usr        100G      -    -
> logical  /var        100G     - -
> logical /home        0-      - -
>
> And you should specify which filesystem you want (4th parameter):

It would seem that FAI disagrees with you too.

Starting setup-storage 1.5
Syntax error: invalid partition type at
/usr/share/fai/setup-storage//Parser.pm line 179, <$config_file> line 1.

Setting this back to primary fixed this.   It would help if it actually
gave the correct line number in the disk layout file, or at least said
what partition type it didn't like.  As I'd only changed this one, it was
pretty obvious.

> For your ssds you probably want to specify alignment: align-at=4k

This worked nicely, thanks.

For the record, here's the config that worked:

disk_config /dev/sda disklabel:msdos align-at:4k
primary -        0-      ext4    -

disk_config /dev/sdb disklabel:msdos align-at:4k
primary -        0-      ext4    -

disk_config /dev/sdc disklabel:msdos align-at:4k
primary -        0-      ext4    -

disk_config /dev/sdd disklabel:msdos align-at:4k
primary -        0-      ext4    -

disk_config /dev/sde disklabel:gpt bootable:1
primary /boot        1G      ext3 rw
primary /        100G     ext3    rw,noatime,errors=remount-ro
primary swap     32G      swap   sw
primary /usr        100G      ext4    rw
primary /var        100G     ext4 rw
primary /home        0-      ext4 rw

Thank you very much for your help.

Now I can go and work on all my other errors.... On Monday!

Cheers,
Geoff.