Setup_storage driving me nuts

Geoff Shang Geoff at MintFM.net
Fri Apr 4 17:23:31 CEST 2014

Hi,

Excuse me jumping on the mailing list and posting immediately, but this is
driving me crazy and I'm about at the end of my rope.  And of course, this is
a machine that's needed yesterday.

First, hardware is not my strength, and I don't know much about the ins and
outs of MSDOS vs GPT, etc.  But I figure part of the point of setup_storage is
that we don't need to - it should just do the right thing.

I'm trying to install a machine that has 6 spinning disks in a 12 TB hardware
RAID5 array plus 4 500 GB stand-alone SSDs.  The SSDs will be for data only
while the 12 TB array (which is much bigger than what is needed) will have the
OS and /home.

Here's my disk_config for this machine:

disk_config /dev/sda disklabel:msdos
primary -        0-      -    -

disk_config /dev/sdb disklabel:msdos
primary -        0-      -    -

disk_config /dev/sdc disklabel:msdos
primary -        0-      -    -

disk_config /dev/sdd disklabel:msdos
primary -        0-      -    -

disk_config /dev/sde disklabel:gpt bootable:1
primary /boot        1G      - -
primary /        100G     -    -
primary swap     32G      swap   sw
primary /usr        100G      -    -
primary /var        100G     - -
primary /home        0-      - -

I tried both MSDOS and GPT for the SSD disks but it made no difference.

first problem:

Executing: parted -s /dev/sdc mkpart primary "" 1048576B 511570853375B
Command had non-zero exit code
Error in task partition. Code: 710
Traceback: task_error task_partition task task_install task task_action task
main
$LOGUSER is undefined. Not saving log files to remote.
FATAL ERROR. Installation stopped.
root at host:/# parted -s /dev/sdc mkpart primary "" 1048576B 511570853375B
Error: You requested a partition from 1049kB to 512GB.
The closest location we can manage is 1048kB to 1048kB.

this actually happened on sdd first, so I commented it out and got the same
with sdc which you see here.

Since the SSDs will be for data and can be setup post-installation, I tried
commenting them out entirely.

Second problem:

Executing: mkswap  /dev/sde3
Command had non-zero exit code
Error in task partition. Code: 710
Traceback: task_error task_partition task task_install task task_action task
main
$LOGUSER is undefined. Not saving log files to remote.
FATAL ERROR. Installation stopped.
root at host:/# mkswap  /dev/sde3
Setting up swapspace version 1, size = 33554428 KiB
no label, UUID=45d81993-fbfc-41ab-ac33-a2bce711001d
root at host:/# echo $?
0

As you can see, the command it appeared to choke on ran just fine.  So perhaps
the command before was the one to generate the error:

root at host:/# parted -s /dev/sde mkpart primary "" 357557075968B 12000138608127B
Error: Unable to satisfy all constraints on the partition.

I'm clearly missing something and I'm desperately in search of enlightenment.
Any help anyone can provide will be gratefully received.

Thanks,
Geoff.