announcement - forking setup-storage

Thomas Neumann blacky+fai at fluffbunny.de
Mon Oct 14 00:34:45 CEST 2013

Update

I wrote the parser library. Testcases for physical disks and RAID devices
are available and are passing successfully. Parser configuration for LVM,
LUKS and tmpfs volumes is also available, but no testcases are written yet -
it's therefore guaranteed to contain one or more bugs.

The current state is available at
 http://www.fluffbunny.de/setup-storage_v2.1.tar.gz
Unfortunately there's not much to see except if you want to dig around in
the testcases and see how they are set up or have a look at
the actual parser code.

Perform untar, 'perl Makefile.pl'. 'make test' if you want to run the
testcases, tests can be run outside of a fai client / configspace but you
need at least the Test::More and Readonly modules. 'doc/dependencies' gives
the full list, but most of these are not used right now because the
functionality is not implemented yet.

My next steps are to increase test coverage for the parser library and write
a small utility which parses actual disk_config files and gives feedback /
prints the parsed configuration state. I think the tool will be pretty useful
later on. Regardless of whether you're using the v1.4 or my setup-storage it
can tell where there's stuff that's not going to work as expected. Possible
usecases could be for debugging or for new users trying to get their first
disk configuration right. Somewhere along the way there's going to be a
public git repository, I'm already keeping the stuff in a local git
repository, but I haven't bothered to make it available because there wasn't
much to see anyway.

Stuff I stumbled on: Did you know that the option value in
is allowed to contain mkfs- and tune-options? Until now I assumed these
options were limited to the actual partition / RAID volume / logical volume
configuration. I haven't looked any further into this but I wonder what
happens if you specify different / conflicting options in both locations.

bye
thomas