Setup-storage use space between partitions

Steven Wend swend at stud.hs-bremen.de
Sun May 5 23:23:30 CEST 2013

Hello Thomas,

hope you enjoyed the "Kaiserwetter" this weekend!

> Uhm. Yeah. If I'm not totally mistaken then you are using up all non-preserved
> disk space on /sda2 and there's not much room after the second windows partition.
The first point is correct I try to delete sda2 and use all its space to
create the linux partitions. The second statement should be truth but it
isn't. There is enough space to create all of the partitions. I think
the setup-storage could have a problem with this "create this in the
middle"-task.

> Btw. you may or may not be interested in LVM. Configure sda2 as a PV and
> provide /, swap and /home as logical volumes?
>
> e.g.:
> disk_config disk1 preserve_always:1,3 disklabel:msdos fstabkey:uuid
>
> primary  -  0  -  -
> primary -   16000 - -
> primary  -  0  -  -
>
> disk_config lvm
> vg  vg_system  disk1.1
> vg_system-root  /      500M-8G  ext3  errors=remount-ro
> vg_system-swap  swap   2G       swap  defaults
> vg_system-home  /home  1G-70%   ext3  rw,noatime,nosuid,nodev createopts="-L home -m 1" tuneopts="-c 0 -i 0"
LVM would be a nice way I will check this. Thanks for the hint.

> Something like this? Needs some finetuning with the boot loader. I would advise
> to install GRUB2 into /dev/sda2, dd the relevant blocks to the windows boot
> partition and configure windows to chainload grub2 (or the linux kernel).
>
> There's also the possibility to let GRUB2 do all the boot handling, but at
> least Windows 7 is really bitchy and will refuse to create 'Volume Shadow
> Copies' (e.g. the windows built in backup utility will fail with a very
> non-descriptive error message.)
You are right Windows 7 is really bitchy! Especially with the boot and
BDEdrive partitions.

> bye
> thomas

I have another idea to realize it. I also will try to backup this drive
with dd via partition-hook. And after the setup-storage I try to restore
this backup with dd with another hook. May be this would be a way.