Setup-storage use space between partitions

Thomas Neumann (FAI) blacky+fai at fluffbunny.de
Fri May 3 14:09:40 CEST 2013

On Friday 03 May 2013 12:41:02 Steven Wend wrote:
> yes good idea. So I tried this configuration:
> ------------
> disk_config disk1 preserve_always:1,3 disklabel:msdos fstabkey:uuid
>
> primary  -  0  -  -
> primary /      16000    ext3  rw,noatime,errors=remount-ro
> primary  -  0  -  -
> logical swap   4000 swap  rw
> logical /home  1000  ext3  rw,noatime,nosuid,nodev createopts="-L home -m
> 1" tuneopts="-c 0 -i 0"
> ------------
>
> The error I started with is gone but now it is said that there is not
> enough space to create the logical volumes.

Uhm. Yeah. If I'm not totally mistaken then you are using up all non-preserved
disk space on /sda2 and there's not much room after the second windows partition.

Btw. you may or may not be interested in LVM. Configure sda2 as a PV and
provide /, swap and /home as logical volumes?

e.g.:
disk_config disk1 preserve_always:1,3 disklabel:msdos fstabkey:uuid

primary  -  0  -  -
primary -   16000 - -
primary  -  0  -  -

disk_config lvm
vg  vg_system  disk1.1
vg_system-root  /      500M-8G  ext3  errors=remount-ro
vg_system-swap  swap   2G       swap  defaults
vg_system-home  /home  1G-70%   ext3  rw,noatime,nosuid,nodev createopts="-L home -m 1" tuneopts="-c 0 -i 0"

Something like this? Needs some finetuning with the boot loader. I would advise
to install GRUB2 into /dev/sda2, dd the relevant blocks to the windows boot
partition and configure windows to chainload grub2 (or the linux kernel).

There's also the possibility to let GRUB2 do all the boot handling, but at
least Windows 7 is really bitchy and will refuse to create 'Volume Shadow
Copies' (e.g. the windows built in backup utility will fail with a very
non-descriptive error message.)

bye
thomas