Creating GPT BIOS partition with FAI 4.0.6

Soos Arpad qwer at vienna.at
Wed Mar 27 09:24:43 CET 2013

Thomas Neumann wrote:
> setup-storage will create a new partition and mark it and the location of this
> 'boot'-partition is at the beginning of the disk, but the partition index is
> the next after the last defined partition, e.g.:
>
> disk_config disk1 disklabel:gpt-bios
> primary     /           200M      ext3  rw,errors=panic
> primary     -           400M      swap  -
>
> will result in
>
> 1) sda3 - biosboot
> 2) sda1 - /
> 3) sda2 - swap
>
> Yes this is mostly a cosmetical issue. I can understand why it has been done
> this way. Still don't like 'out of order' partitioning. There's a workaround
> to achieve 'ordered' partitions.
>
> disk_config disk1 disklabel:gpt
> primary     -           1M        -     -
> primary     /           200M      ext3  rw,errors=panic
> primary     -           400M      swap  -
>
> However you _must_ set the required flag manually after the partitioning has
> been done and before grub is being installed.

Well this is not at all a "cosmetical issue" as far my problems are
concerned. So I have to ask which programm ist doing the paetitioning.
And why it is not possible to manage it with a personal decission,
wether to do automatic paritioning or do it manually.

I´d like do have all clients trying netboot and if there's no server
using their normal installation. And if there is a fai-server, making
it possible to do fai boot but no pationing or do it on the other side.
So, partitioning is not at all just a "cosmetical issue".

Sorry for dissenting :-)
Arpad