client install aborts

Thomas Neumann blacky+fai at fluffbunny.de
Fri Mar 15 23:08:33 CET 2013

Hello

On Friday, March 15, 2013 10:05:43 PM George VerDuin wrote:
>> It sounds very much like a NFSv4 problem. Please compare with
>> http://wiki.fai-
>> project.org/wiki/Installation_walkthrough#single_network_interface
>
> OK -- this patch did modify the results and allow the install process to
> continue past the previous abort.
> TRUTH: I disregarded this patch based on the wiki remark "This is fixed
> now." and I'm using the latest rev.
> Also: the log messages look much different from the wiki example [e.g.
> message from "init:" instead of "aufs:"].
[...]

I changed the section a bit. Replaced the 'It is fixed' with something more
close to the truth. Additionially it should hopefully more clear what is the
important part in the error message. On top of that I provided a link to the
related bug report (also to the LVM bug report) *phew*

> Now that install proceeds further, I again have the "black screen"
> problem on the client.  I've reviewed the patch material you sent
> previously for grub.  Looking through the .../nfsroot/etc/default/
> directory, and the .../nfsroot/boot/ directory,  no content seems
> correctable.  In fact grub on fai-server looks unusable to me.

Ah. Forget about grub for now. Back then I assumed you were having trouble
with booting / debugging an installed fai client. At this stage grub has no
relevance to your problems. You're actually still in pre-FAI / initrd
territory.

I'm a bit stumped on why you are getting a black screen (now/again/at all).
The only thing I can think of is that the initrd/dracut is finding a lvm-
partition on the client's hard disc and trying to activate that partition.
This wouldn't be so bad, if dracut would then still proceed to mount the NFS
root volume. Alas it doesn't and refuses to proceed any further.

If this _IS_ the problem, then the section 'test_for_LVM-related_bugs' is your
new friend. Especially 'rd_NO_LVM'.

> As a last remark, when the client reboots after finishing whatever it
> did, the fai-client hangs after the message: "
> Verifying DMI Pool Data ................." that is from BIOS.  My
> problem is deeper than NFSv4...?  In any case, my next work is to review
> /etc/fai/NFSROOT and .../fai-doc/sample/simple for a clue to grub.

I don't know.

bye
thomas