client install aborts

George VerDuin gfv2008-home at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 15 22:05:43 CET 2013

OK Thomas -- thanks

On 03/15/2013 02:53 PM, Thomas Neumann wrote:

> fai 4.x?
Yes -- 4.0.6 from the project repo.

> It sounds very much like a NFSv4 problem. Please compare with
> http://wiki.fai-
> project.org/wiki/Installation_walkthrough#single_network_interface
OK -- this patch did modify the results and allow the install process to
continue past the previous abort.
TRUTH: I disregarded this patch based on the wiki remark "This is fixed
now." and I'm using the latest rev.
Also: the log messages look much different from the wiki example [e.g.
message from "init:" instead of "aufs:"].

SO -- Should I log into wiki and change "This is fixed now." into "This
is fixed in 4.0.7." or similar?
I might like to also change " In previous 4.0 releases" into "Beginning
in 4.0.?  release"?
Your decision needed here -- I will follow your lead.

Now that install proceeds further, I again have the "black screen"
problem on the client.  I've reviewed the patch material you sent
previously for grub.  Looking through the .../nfsroot/etc/default/
directory, and the .../nfsroot/boot/ directory,  no content seems
correctable.  In fact grub on fai-server looks unusable to me.

As a last remark, when the client reboots after finishing whatever it
did, the fai-client hangs after the message: "
Verifying DMI Pool Data ................." that is from BIOS.  My
problem is deeper than NFSv4...?  In any case, my next work is to review
/etc/fai/NFSROOT and .../fai-doc/sample/simple for a clue to grub.

> bye thomas
Cheers
Geo