FAIBASE/10-misc and hostname

George VerDuin gfv2008-home at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 13 18:13:53 CET 2013

On 03/13/2013 03:39 AM, Thomas Lange wrote:
>      >> little challenged by the quote "...nobody cares about Ubuntu...".
>      > I believe that is a translation error from the German "sich kuemmern um". It's
>      > probably supposed to mean "the Ubuntu package is unmaintained" and not "we're
>      > not in the least interested what the Ubuntu package looks like".
> Yes, that what I wanted to say. Sorry for the confusion.
Actually less of confusion, more of dumb [dumb can be fixed while stupid
is forever].  I approach this from the expectation that if I faithfully
follow my predecessors I will have a good outcome.  I have not.  But I
question how faithful I have been.  And I can not exactly duplicate the
Debioan environment my predesessors trod.  So I'm stuck for the moment
with Ubuntu that does abort for reasons I don't fully understand.

This brings me to viewing the Ubuntu version as lacking quality and the
FAI project team of not supporting Ubuntu variation of the project.  I
do have opinion, I do not criticize.  Once I grasp the Ubuntu failure,
and maybe have a solution, I will approach Ubuntu as a buggy offering
not found in Debian.

> I would be very happy if anyone would maintain the Ubuntu FAI
> packages, but I do not have the time to do this.
I hope you share my perspective of the difference between support and
quality.  I doubt FAI is flawed and in need of support, I do suspect
some incompatibility caused by differences in packaging between Debian
and Ubuntu.

Cheers.
Geo