Not all fixed. Re: Has anybody had good luck using FAI where it repartitions on a system that previously contained an lvm setup?

Ken Hahn khahn at engr.wisc.edu
Mon Jul 22 17:58:44 CEST 2013

Hello,

I'm worried I'm echoing in my own thread here, but here is what I've found:

setup-storage depends on liblinux-lvm-perl

While that library has been redone, both versions of it just seems to
pass through the same problem.  The ultimate problem is that logical
volume information is derived from executing the "vgdisplay -v" command.

The output from this command has changed between squeeze and wheezy.
The older version of this command has fewer fields.

snippet of older output:
  LV Name                /dev/vg/var
  VG Name                vg

snippit of newer output:
  LV Path                /dev/vg/var
  LV Name                var
  VG Name                vg

They've added a field, and changed what is contained in the old named field.

I'm not sure if this is a change in the lvm tools or a change in the
kernel interface, but it sure as heck messes with setup-storage.

I'll go send a bug to the liblinux-lvm-perl debian package, but
ultimately, I bet they just pass along another field as a fix.

Anyway, apparently, this bug has legs.

-Ken