Not all fixed. Re: Has anybody had good luck using FAI where it repartitions on a system that previously contained an lvm setup?

Ken Hahn khahn at engr.wisc.edu
Sat Jul 20 00:14:01 CEST 2013

Hey,

Still looking at this issue (been gone to a conference), but I'm noting
that FAI/debian changed from using liblinux-lvm-perl .14-2 to .16-1.
This ends up changing what the "current device tree" looks like.
Specifically it appears the lv's are represented by /dev/ paths in the
old version and by volume name only in the new version.  This is really
significant because the post and pre depend on everything being a dev name.

Old method:
          'VG_vg' => [
                       '/dev/vg/fscache',
                       '/dev/vg/local.hd',
                       '/dev/vg/root',
                       '/dev/vg/swap',
                       '/dev/vg/var'
                     ]

New method:

          'VG_vg' => [
                       'fscache',
                       'local.hd',
                       'root',
                       'swap',
                       'var'
                     ]

(I discovered this while trying to use the old setup-storage in a new fai.)

Also, note this info in the  Linux::LVM changelog:

0.14  Wed Jul  2 02:54:14 CDT 2008
        - Fixed some logic errors to get it working a little better
        - Full rewrite underway

I guess one of my questions is: is this a bug in setup-storage, or a bug
in Linux::LVM or perhaps even one of the lvm command line tools?

Also, how long have people be trying to give patches for setup-storage
because of a difference that really arose in Linux::LVM?

If anybody has any info on this before I keep digging on Monday, it
would be appreciated!

-Ken Hahn