Problems setting up Debian 7

Russ Allbery rra at debian.org
Fri Jul 19 19:52:35 CEST 2013

Benedict Wright <admin at ist.tugraz.at> writes:

> I am getting the error:

> update-initramfs generating /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-4-amd64
> df: Warning: cannot read table of mounted file systems: No such file or
> directory

This is normal and almost certainly not your problem.

> After this error some more steps are taken. The system then reboots the
> only thing i get is a flashing underscore in the top left corner of the
> screen.

Are you using a directly-connected console or some sort of serial console?
When we see this problem, it's almost always an incorrect console setting
on the command line of the newly-installed system, whether missing the
serial console configuration or using the wrong speed, etc.  The system is
booting, just sending all the messages off into never-never land.

--
Russ Allbery (rra at debian.org)               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>