Has anybody had good luck using FAI where it repartitions on a system that previously contained an lvm setup?

Adam Carheden carheden at ucar.edu
Wed Jul 10 22:17:09 CEST 2013

I'm not sure if I had the same problem you saw, but I wasn't able to get
FAI to reinstall over an LVM install either. The disk_config I tried was:

disk_config disk1 preserve_always:1,2
primary /boot 500- - -
primary - 0- - -

disk_config lvm preserve_lazy:all
vg vg01 sdb2
vg01-wheezy_root     / ...

...with various values for preserve_lazy.

vg01 exists and has all my squeeze VGs too.

Unfortunately I didn't save the exact error message I got, but it was
related to storage-setup failing to create the LVs or possibly not
knowing how to preserver the existing vg01.

I ended up manually creating, formatting and mounting the VGs,
installing via FAI to a VM, rsyncing the bits over and running
update-grub while chroot'd to the manually partitioned VGs.

--
Adam Carheden