Has anybody had good luck using FAI where it repartitions on a system that previously contained an lvm setup?

Ken Hahn khahn at engr.wisc.edu
Wed Jul 10 22:05:10 CEST 2013

Hello,

I'm trying to get FAI working for an install of several labs using
Debian Wheezy.  I'm using the latest wheezy install of FAI (which is
version 4.0.6).

My install process has worked fine when I empty out the disk (dd
if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1024 count=512 is my friend) of the client
machine.  However, when I try to reinstall on top of a previous system
which used LVM, I continually have failures.  This led me to a few
questions specifically about setup-storage:

1. Is there any documentation on all the names for the pre and post
dependencies for a command?  I'm having a very hard time deciding if
there's a bug, or if my config has problems because it's hard for me to
decode these strings. Specifically, what is self_cleared_* and why does
it sometimes have a dev node suffix, and other times have a logical
volume name?

2. Has anybody had luck with installing where an lvm setup previously
existed?  I see that the wipefs command always depends on a vgchange -a
n command, and I don't understand how that could work, as the vgchange
removes the device node. With no device node, there's no device to wipe.
 (Also, I see that for lvm, wipefs refers to a path like vg/fscache
instead of /dev/vg/fscache.  I'm not sure how that would ever work, either.)

One of the few things that I can think of is that the kernel causes
different behavior as to the dev nodes appearance/disappearance. I am
using a stock debian kernel instead of the grml one because the grml one
was crashing randomly on my test machine (which is similar to my lab
machines).

I appreciate any relevant feedback.

-Ken Hahn