functionality

George VerDuin gfv2008-home at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 20 20:50:31 CET 2013

I have stumbled into a question of use.  There seems to be some unusual
overlap and/or duplication:
For just a couple examples:

  * fia/package_config/FAIBASE and /etc/fai/NFSROOT [both specify the
    rsync package -- a duplication]
  * fia/package_config/DEFAULT and /etc/fai/NFSROOT [each specify
    different [perhaps partial definitions] linux-image... packages for
    AMD64]

SO -- /etc/fai/NFSROOT seems out-of-place by being located under
/etc/...?  My search of fai site has failed me.  FAI doesn't seem to
mind duplication, but for what purpose is it appropriate to choose to
define OS build detail in NFSROOT and when in .../package_config/...?

For a second issue...
Following the FAI reflector recommendation in thread "fai-make-nfsroot
fails" on  Feb 19 of "use Debian" for sources.list I switched from
ubuntu to debian repositories.  I used the "-K" parm for
make-fai-nfsroot after the switch.  Following a few semi-successful
installs based on ubuntu, now after switching I find make-fai... fatal
localization errors and a curious failure labelled "You must choose one
to install." from a list of linux-image candidates from which FAI could
not pick the most appropriate one. Please note I originally installed
FAI from ubuntu repositories. The detail differences between ubuntu and
debian seem to be causing me a little grief?

I also re-populated my local mirror and I find it interesting that the
ubuntu mirror space requirement is 215MB while debian is 522MB [not a
problem].  From looking over the apache2 access.log it doesn't seem that
FAI ever addressed the local mirror while processing [perhaps a third
issue].  Still -- under my ubuntu work the log showed much activity even
though there were many "404" responses to queries.

The second issue seems to point at a need for me to purge any ubuntu
history, or cache, or even re-install FAI from scratch.  Perhaps the
bright side of re-installation is that I could then follow my own rule
of using git to allow me to accurately back up?  AARRRGG, on this
project I've not dropped enough bread crumbs along the way.

My purpose in posting issue 2 is to ask if FAI is more rich when ported
from the FAI site or from distro repositories?  I'm not throwing
brick-bats at the packaging teams, just curious about missing changes to
FAI while it works it's way thru the various publication paths.

Cheers
Geo