installing centos with fai

Natxo Asenjo natxo.asenjo at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 11:44:36 CET 2012

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 5:51 AM, Gert Huisman <gert.huisman.55 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been using FAI for years to install Debian machines. And we have a
> running setup for Debian squeeze.
> We now need to install a bunch of centos machines, and I expected to have an
> easy job, installing a new Debian wheezy machine with FAI 4, which has an
> example setup for centos.
>
> Last days I spend a lot of hours to get the wheezy setup working, wihout
> succes. Seems I can't get a working initrd nfsroot combination.
> I saw some discussions on the fai mailinglist to solve the problems and
> tried some pachting of fai-make-nfsroot and reverting to dracut 19, without
> solving the issue.
>
> Can you give me an advise on a working version of FAI that I can easely use
> to install centos. I am close to some deadlines, and I hate to go installing
> these machines manually.

as much as I like FAI and without willing to start a flamewar,
installing centos with it is not what people used to manage only
redhat based systems would expect.

Bootstrapping a redhat based infrastructure with pxe and kickstart is
very common and well understood, so my advice would be to use your
existing fai pxe infrastructure (if you use fai with pxe) and add some
entries for a your centos installations. Here
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/PXE/PXE_Setup they describe how to set
that up for a new pxe environment, the changes for an existing one are
trivial.

--
groet,
natxo