Proper way to find out if an (initial) installation is being performed?

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Tue May 22 23:01:53 CEST 2012

    > Hello
    > In the original prepareapt hook, there are (were?) two different if-clauses:

    > if [ -f /var/run/fai/FAI_INSTALLATION_IN_PROGRESS ]; then

    > if [ $do_init_tasks -eq 1 ] ; then
In FAI 4.0 there's a third one:

if [ $FAI_ACTION = "install" ]; then

    > I'm not too sure what they are supposed to mean so I ask for
    > clarification. Judging from the code/names they seem to guard the enclosed
    > code against running during a softupdate.
Yes, I think you are right.

    > b) What is the proper/best/most obvious/recommended way to let code run
    > only during the initial installation?
The third one should be the cleanest way IMO.

    > c) Does install/dirinstall make a difference?
That depends on your needs. $do_init_tasks and
FAI_INSTALLATION_IN_PROGRESS does not distiguish between
install, dirinstall, softupdate, whatever, but $FAI_ACTION does.